Thursday, November 8, 2012

I am. The Problem and the Solution.

I am. I never thought those two small words would have such an impact on me. But now hearing them makes me stop and think about everything I say, and do. I was listening to the radio on the way home from work and the DJ was sharing that he read about a question posed to people in the 1920’s. They were asked, “what is wrong with the world today”. One man wrote “I am” and sent it in. At the moment I cannot remember this man’s name but I will never forget how he answered that question.

I realized that it still rings true today. Do you remember as a child playing with your friends when you would point to your friend when asked who was in the wrong? Then the teacher or parent watching would always say, “Be careful, when you point at someone you have 4 fingers pointing back at you.” If we stop and think, this simple saying and the two words “I am” could change lives.

Instead of looking for who to blame problems on we could open our eyes and see that we are part of the problem. I have a very bad habit of opening my mouth and saying the first thing that comes out of it. And admittedly, a lot of the times it is unfiltered. I haven’t processed the whole thought yet, and so what comes out is wrong. I can make a judgment statement without even meaning to because of my need to say something. This can be dangerous, because I have a teenage son at home listening to what I am saying. He is listening to me. Luckily, I have a very sweet husband who will point out to me what I just said. This helps me decide if this is what I really want to say or if I need to correct it.

I think maybe we can all take our freedom of speech too far. If what we are saying hurts someone do we really need to say it? If we are opening our mouths and spreading hate wouldn't it be best to keep it to ourselves? The Bible has a lot to say about taming the tongue. In James 3 there are many descriptions on just how hard it is to control. James illustrates through word pictures that though the tongue is small it is powerful. With your tongue you can bless and you can curse. Be a blessing. We are suppose to love not hate.

And as I ponder these two words I also believe that they hold the answer to the problems of the world. If I am the problem then I Am is the Solution. God told Moses in Exodus, “I Am”. In the New Testament, Jesus speaks again those same words. “I Am”. God our Father in Heaven is the answer. He is the Healer, Redeemer, and ultimate Judge.

As the arms of Christ we can bring more hope and less despair, more love and less hate, more truth and less lies. I encourage you to examine your own heart today. See where you are the problem. Instead of pointing out where everyone else is the problem turn all those fingers back on you. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment