Monday, August 9, 2010

Surrender

If I asked you how to define surrender, how would you do it? What are the first words that come to mind? Probably something along the lines of, "put up the white flag" or "throw in the towel right"? We have been taught in our lives that surrender has a negative connotation to it. It means to give up. Doesn't sound like something we would want to do. Especially not something we would want to do voluntarily.

If however, we are to think of surrender with our faith it takes on a whole new meaning. It is the most positive thing you can do. Surrender to God. Surrender to the One who knows what He is doing, and allow Him to have control. Would you like to have less pressure? Do you want help in making the big decisions? Surrender. I am not promising it will be easy. If you are like me and have control issues it will be very hard.

Surrender can bring peace to your life. It can make you realize your true place in life. We were not meant to conquer all evil. We weren't given super human powers to be in all places, taking care of all situations. We were born with a Father who can take care of everything if we let Him. By putting your trust in God and allowing Him to lead the way, so many problems can be averted. You won't have to learn so many hard lessons. I have tried over and over to fix problems. I make them bigger and messier than when they started out. My heart might be in the right place, but that is the problem. I act with my heart and don't think. I just start doing something and sooner or later I am faced with a bigger problem. The sooner each of us learns to surrender the better it is.

You may be thinking that your life is going just fine right now. Why surrender? Well, when things start crashing down and life throws you a curve ball, don't you want to be in the correct position? Take it from someone who has been down this road many times. Being totally surrendered to God could have saved me a lot of pain. I still have issues with total surrender and am trying to let go. If you think you can fix everything and you try and fail it depletes you. And if you're stubborn like me and keep trying you get a little more depleted each time. There is no need to wear yourself out. Troubles will come. We do not live in a perfect world. Sooner or later you will need help. Its much easier to recognize that when you are in a good position.

I have made the decision to surrender all to God. I will stop trying to fix everything and allow Him to do what needs to be done. I have surrendered. I pray that you will be encouraged to do so, too. Allow Him to have His rightful place. Be a servant like you were called to be and be freed by not having to make all the decisions. Submit to God, and allow Him to show you the way. You will be able to do more for Him than you can on your own.




No comments:

Post a Comment