Monday, April 12, 2010

Lessons I Learned from A Young Boy

Recently I went to the movies with my family to see, "Letters to God." The movie changed my life. After it was done, no one moved in the theater for a few minutes. There was just silence. I know that I wasn't the only it touched.

After processing what I saw I realized some important lessons. First is my faith should not be based on my circumstances. This little boy has an aggressive brain cancer, and his faith never wavered. He wrote a letter to God everyday, some days he wrote several. He never got angry for having cancer, or questioned God's existence. He knew deep in his heart God was there, and he trusted God was listening. When he saw answers to his prayers, he said with great confidence, "See God is listening to me." He knew who to give the credit to. It made me realize who weak I can be. I let all kinds of tests shake me. I get angry. Now, I can honestly say I won't. I will remember the God I serve is in control. If a little boy facing death so bravely can do that, I can too.

Second I learned life is not about me. I always react to problems as attacks on me. I see how things affect me. I use to pray selfishly for things to turn around to make my life easier on me. When this little boy wrote his letters, he wrote them about his family and friends. He even asked God to take care of people he just met. He was concerned for others. His letters and prayers were the most unselfish ones I ever heard. You can't teach that kind of faith.

Also I learned how showing the kind of faith he did changed more lives than preaching at people ever could. He touched the lives of so many people. Children in his school, his entire neighborhood, and his family. And now with this movie he continues to touch lives. This is a true story. I think I forgot to mention that. So many times I have caught myself trying to shove God at people I love because I want to change their life. My time would be better spent, showing them how God has changed my life by my actions. By living my faith. Letting His joy shine for all to see.

And lastly I learned God uses all circumstances to show who He is. I won't spoil the movie but sharing the ending or too much more about it, so I will keep this short. I encourage you to see this movie, and I pray that your life will never be the same after watching it. I may even be inspired to write my own letters to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment