Saturday, April 10, 2010

Seeing God

Recently I began a journey of looking into my heart and finding out why and how I believe what I do. At night or sometimes early in the morning I am reminded of the things that I draw my faith and hope from. I began to realize how much I see God every day and not even notice. A friend reminded my of a verse lately about seeing God in nature and this is where my mind is going today.

Have you ever looked at leaf from a tree. Hold one in your hand some time. For me its a little more difficult since I now call Arizona home, but I remember doing this back in NH. Look at the leaf closely. There are veins running through the leaf, that carry nutrients to give it color. In that one little leaf there are all kinds of things going on with big names. I have been learning some of them again while homeschooling my 13 year old son. Then look at the roots of those trees. They dig deep into the ground. Spreading out to gather all the nutrients the tree needs to live. Amazing. I think to myself a rock couldn't have known the tree would need this. Would need the roots to provide for it. Someone with thoughts, would have to have known this.

The human body is my main focus. Now I want to warn you that at some points in my few paragraphs this might get PG. But to me this is the good kind of PG. Not violence and blood but of life. The human body has so many nerves. We can feel so many things. When you touch something hot it sends a message to your brain, “Ow, that's hot.” Its how little ones learn not to touch the stove. Everything in us and on was created for a purpose. Skin holds everything inside of us, bones give us strength, and muscles help us with the ability to move. The whole system is so complex. So much is going on inside of us, we can't even comprehend it. And what is more amazing we don't even realize it. We take for granted just walking. Do we ever stop and think how we are able to do that. All the messages our body has to send out before we can even take one step.

And all our senses. The things we can see, hear, taste, touch, and smell. How is is possible? It blows me away to just dwell on these simple everyday things we do. For everything to work right and function takes a lot of processes that we don't even realize. People who study the human body do. We learn some of what they know if science classes throughout school, but sadly I think we mostly take for granted all that is required for us to take our daily breath. Our moment to moment to breath.

Ok, here is where it may get a little PG. Don't worry though I won't get too mushy on you.

Ever you ever stopped to think that there are male and female of all species that reproduce sexually? Could a rock know that we would need a male and a female to create life? And think of all the parts that each person has to create that life. I can only describe it in one word. Miracle. First I began to think on the location of the sexually producing parts. They have to be able to line up so that it is even possible to have sex. They were placed perfectly. Everything fits together just right. That is not an accident. God knew what He was doing.

After the couple has sex a baby just isn't instantly formed. Another long, sensitive process takes place. The sperm and egg have to unite in just the right place at just the right moment. Nothing can be off or it won't work. And then after united, all kinds of miracles take place. Everything has to happen at just the right time, for the developing baby to grow and nourish. Speaking of nourishment. Isn't it amazing how the mothers body has all the little one needs to survive. The placenta contains nutrients supplied by the mother, and attached by the umbilical cord. It is all so complex. And the body knows when the baby is ready to come. Most of the time anyways. Some come a little early and some a little late. Think back to before there were ultrasounds, to even before there were doctors. The babies came when they were done growing. The woman's body is equipped to send signals when everything is finished and life is ready to be born. Amazing.

And still after the new life comes, moms have the ability to feed their young ones. All the nourishment they need to survive their first precious few days, months of life are provided in breastmilk. There are too many things that were thought it about what it would take for human life to begin, sustain, create, and do all the daily functions for it to be just an accident.

My eyes are open wide now so that I can see God all around me in the little things of life. I can see Him wherever I look. Life is too precious, too fragile to have all been created by just an accident. It took a loving hand, a wise One, to put everything together so that it works just right. Take a walk and look at all the different animals, plants, insects, and people. Our universe is so complex and how everything works together and does so, so perfectly is nothing less than a miracle.

I hope you have enjoyed this and that it causes you to pause and wonder. It may be for the first time you hear this or maybe it just confirms something in your heart. Either way, I pray that God reveals Himself to you in the beauty and wonder of this beautiful world he created.

1 comment:

  1. This has been something that I've been pondering and noticing over the past 7 years.
    Jeremy and I didn't plan on getting pregnant with Andrew 7 years ago, but it definitely wasn't an "accident." God had a plan.
    Now Andrew is 6 and we've been trying for child #2 for 5 years with no luck. We've had to realize that we can plan for stuff, but it is really out of our control. Sometimes you learn the hard way to submit to the idea that God knows what He is doing. I learned that because nothing worked for us, even though there was no reason it shouldn't have.
    Thankfully, God has blessed us with a healthy pregnancy and we expect our second child in September! I know He waited long enough to make sure I understood it is Him that creates life; not us, not medicine, not doctors, not our "plans," etc. =0)

    ReplyDelete